Principles Of Business Communication and Office Management.
This is a method of communication which does not have any code or rules that govern it. The commonly used term is grapevine; the term grapevine came from America during the Civil war. During that period , intelligence telephone lines were strung loosely from tree to tree in the manner of grapevine and message were thereon often distributed hence any rumor was said to be from the grapevine. Today, the term applies to all informal (means) communication.
TYPES OF INFORMAL MEANS OF COMMUNICATION.
Where the individuals communicate with the other individuals through and intervining the person.
In the gossip network, Individuals communicate non-selectively.
The cluster network, Individuals communicate with only those individuals they trust
In the probability network, individuals communicate randomly with others according to the law of probability.
ADVANTAGES OF INFORMAL COMMUNICATION.
- Acts a substitute communication to the formal means of communication within an organization.
- Spreads faster than formal means of communication.
- It satisfies the need of the persons within an organization.
- Its used to release tension within an organization.
DISADVANTAGES OF FORMAL COMMUNICATION.
- Its difficult to keep confidential information.
- Information can be distorted before reaching its target groups.
- Nobodys held responsible.
- It creates hatred among the people.